I had never made brown rice before…ever.
But I HAD heard that it was very difficult to get right. That was a little scary, considering I already struggle with white rice!
Since I was starting the Daniel Fast, I knew I should probably look into how to cook brown rice.
You can read about my Daniel Fast at these posts:
So I used good ol’ trusty Google, and typed in, “How to cook perfect brown rice”…great search, right? I mean, I didn’t want just mediocre rice; I needed something tried and proven to be perfect!
So I followed the directions, step-by-step, and guess what?!? It WAS perfect!! I was SO excited! I’ve made it several times since, and it hasn’t failed me! (…except for the one time I didn’t follow the directions properly)
The only thing I had a little bit of difficulty with was reading the directions all in one paragraph, since I love being able to see each step laid out. So I decided to re-post it here.
**I do not take ANY credit for these directions, I did NOT write them!**
***Although I did simplify and modify some of it for easier readability!***
Directions for perfect brown rice
You will need…
water – 4 cups of water for every cup of rice
salt – to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot over high heat.
- When water boils, add the rice, stir it once.
- Turn heat to medium and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 30 minutes, drain the water.
- Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot, off the heat (this is the part I forgot that one time…make sure for this step you keep it OFF THE HEAT!)
- Immediately cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and set it aside to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes .
- After ten minutes, uncover rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt to taste.
So thanks to Nicole from Pinch My Salt, and to saveur.com, for help mastering perfect brown rice!