We have this little dirt plot outside our kitchen window, by our front entryway. I call it a dirt plot because it is basically dirt. As I mentioned in my last post, gardening is not a gift of mine! But I do want to make our entryway look nice…so I’m working on it.
A friend of ours gave us a little decorative stone that had a Bible verse somehow stuck onto it. It seemed like it was paper with a clear coat over it to protect it from the elements. It was nice, but pretty plain. The verse was written in black font that was very tiny, so it wasn’t super exciting. (Sorry I didn’t take any before pictures!)
One day I noticed that parts of the verse were starting to peel off. I then got all excited about doing something new with our little stone! Painting it sounded fun!
I went onto good ol’ trusty Pinterest, and looked up “Christ the rock.” I found all sorts of cute word art that I could use as inspiration.
I finally found one I liked, and set out to paint my rock!
Here is what I did:
- I brought the rock in and scraped all the paper, dirt, and other gunk off of it. I used a brush and scrubbed it so it would be nice and clean for me to paint on.
- As it was drying, I gathered my painting supplies. Here’s what I used:
- A bottle of 88 cent acrylic paint from Walmart
- A thin paint brush
- a Q-tip (which didn’t work too well for me)
3. Using the ideas I found from the word art, I attempted to re-create the cute fonts and writing styles.
And there you have it! I first started out using the Q-tip, which is what I wrote the word “Christ” with. You can see in the photo that it came out super thick. I didn’t really like that, so I did the rest of it using my thin paintbrush. I’m sure Q-tips would be great if you were doing a design instead of words.
So there’s a simple, cheap, close-to-free project you can do to add a little cuteness to your garden or entryway. It would be pretty awesome to have a bunch of rocks…how cool would it be to make a whole set? You could do one word on each rock, or a bunch of related pictures/designs. That would be so fun! And this is definitely something your kids can help you with!