I LOVE sweet potatoes. So much. Like I would be perfectly okay with trading out sweet potatoes out for regular potatoes in everything…
Sweet potato fries, chips, baked, mashed, scalloped…even sweet potato hash browns! Which I don’t know if they exist, but I want them!
Anyhow, I heard it’s pretty easy to grow sweet potatoes. So I did some research, and I found that:
- You have to start with an organic sweet potato. Apparently if it’s not organic, they treat it with a chemical that keeps sprouts from growing!
- You cut the sweet potato in half.
- You put the sweet potato halves cut side down, into a container of water.
- You leave them in a place that gets a decent amount of sun.
- That’s it! Well for the initial process that is!
I first put my container in our kitchen window. But that window barely receives any sun. So after a few days of feeling like nothing was happening, I decided to leave it out on our screened-in back patio.
I FAIL at gardening. Anything I have tried to grow in the past has NEVER worked. So when I saw that all this took (initially) was water and a food container (the soil thing is still a bit scary for me at this point), I had to give it a shot!
It has been 12 days since I initially put them in water. I don’t have to keep re-watering them. I just let them sit. On the back patio. That’s it.
And look at what has happened so far!!!
Both sweet potato halves each have a little root growing out of them! That is too exciting! I cannot wait to see the progress! I will keep you all posted!
And I challenge you to try growing your own! I heard it’s the perfect time of year to start, because the timing of it works out to where you can plant the sprouts in the spring. So go ahead and try! And let me know how it goes for you!